FIT TO FIGHT proudly introduces six racers: Jami Maves, Jeff Runyan, Mary Pat Malerk, Scott Woods, Don Sokoloski and Mary Lynn Eiseman. Each one of them has battled cancer and is now ready to represent FIT TO FIGHT by meeting the challenge of the PEAK Missoula Triathlon. The 500 yard swim, 12.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run will take place on May 22nd, 2010 at PEAK Health and Wellness Center. Follow Jami, Jeff, Mary Pat, Scott, Don and Mary Lynn's training under Triathlete Trainer Maer Seibert here!

11 May 2010

This Week's Recap with Scott

Training Log and Notes for May 3 – May 10



This turned out to be one of my best training weeks so far, despite the fact that I had some work related travel early in the week. I took my running gear with me so was able to fit in a 4 mile trail run while I was in Moscow, Idaho. No time for anything on Tuesday though, so we’ll call that a ‘rest day’. Another trail run on Thursday, and then intervals on Friday and Sunday. For the intervals I run between the mile markers on the river trail. I’m shooting for an 8 minute mile pace or faster in the race, and running the intervals helps me to know how that feels (it feels hard, but its getting a bit easier). I got out on the bike twice this week; those hills are still a struggle for me but I’m getting more and more comfortable on the bike. If only those guys in their monster trucks would give me some more room on the road! I’ve pretty much resigned myself to using breast stroke for the race, so on Thursday I swam the race distance in the Peak pool using breast stroke to see how it felt. I had to stop and catch my breath a couple of times but finished the distance in about 11 minutes, which will probably put me towards the back of the field coming out of the water but will work just fine. On Sunday, Maer’s husband Paul gave me some good tips on ways to smooth out my profile and get my legs up when I swim crawl stroke. If I just put all the pieces together I’d be much faster than I am with the breast stroke, so I’ll keep working on it just in case it suddenly ‘clicks’ for me. All in all a good week, and I feel like I made some real progress. Hopefully I can keep it going next week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Scott - so cool to see your hard work and commitment to this great event to benefit the FIT TO FIGHT program. And yeah for Paul and Maer for keeping you in line!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I hope your challenge will bring great awareness to the FIT TO FIGHT program and remind everyone to help us get STRONGER THAN CANCER!!!

    ReplyDelete